Starting this year I’m going to do a monthly traffic report of the blog. Part of what I’d like to get out of this is a better understanding of my traffic, and what works to grow it and what’s not working as much.
I’ll dig into some of the strategies I’m trying out – hopefully other bloggers will find this valuable. At the very least, hopefully it’s interesting.
I’m also going to use this post to provide some general life updates, updates on goals, etc.
Without further ado…
January 2018 Traffic Overview
- Pageviews: 6150 – My best month, and without any features or anything crazy. I had a few months last year that peaked above this number, but that was due to either being featured on Reddit, a post going viral on Twitter, or a Rockstar feature. January didn’t have any big spikes, which is great.
- New Sessions: 50.25%. This is an interesting stat to me – it’s simply a measure of how many people (roughly) are first-time visitors.
- Comments: 92 new comments, bringing the total up to 1047. I’m pretty happy with the engagement in the comments, and try to reply to everyone if I can. I can’t always answer right away, but I’ll get to it eventually!
How People Got Here
Note on the ‘Other’ category – 99% of that traffic comes from people sharing posts using the Share buttons at the end of each post. Unfortunately the plugin doesn’t play nice with Google Analytics, so it gets coded as Other.
Referral traffic is by far the biggest source, which isn’t too surprising. I get a lot of traffic from the Rockstar Directory, which also tends to over-inflate Bounce Rate and deflate Pages per Session.
My highest referral sources in January were Rockstar Finance (143 sessions) and Picky Pinchers (also 143 sessions!). Interestingly, Picky Pinchers has been a really solid source of referral traffic for me. Comments have
Most Popular Posts
My top three posts of January were:
- The Three Bag Compromise
- The Snowflake That Broke The Camel’s Back: Becoming a Two Car Household
- 2017: A Year In Review (And 2018 Goals)
I promote my content the most on social media – and generally keep Facebook and Twitter sharing the same(ish) content. I do tend to engage a lot more on Twitter, so if you’re not following me there, click on the link below and follow!
Overall I’m happy with how Twitter’s gone for me. Facebook is a bit of an enigma…growing page likes is really tough because there just isn’t great targeting available for free. Meh, oh well!
- Facebook – 139 page Likes
- Twitter – I ended January with 1237 followers. I’m up to just under 1300 at the time of this writing.
February Blogging Goals
- Page Views: 6000. It’ll be tight with a shorter month, and we’re going to be gone for a few days so it’ll be tough to promote the site as much as I’d like.
- Facebook – 145 page Likes. Super aggressive, I know.
- Twitter – 1400 Followers
I also am going to start converting the Financial Fridays posts to an email campaign.
Best Spam Comment of January
Haha, so this is my favorite part of what I’ll be doing with these updates. Every day I get some great spam comments. Some are funny, but most are non-sensical.
I’ll share the best one from the previous month just for fun.
We’re going to Maryland! Kristin and I are SUPER pumped to go visit friends in Maryland who we haven’t seen since our wedding. Kristin grew up in the area so we’ll visit a few places she’s got in mind, and it’ll be my first trip to DC.
It’ll just be a long weekend – Thursday through Monday – but it’ll be good to get away for a bit.
To all my DC blogging friends – our schedule is jam-packed this time, but I’m going to take a rain-check on a meet up for next time. If any of you are in the Minneapolis area in the future, though, let me know.
That’s all I’ve got for this month’s traffic update! I’m going to revise the format and content moving forward.
Let me know what you like, what you don’t like, what you want to see, etc.